Educational Programs & Services
Without Salary Appointments
Without Salary (WOS) appointments (employee cross appointments and non-employee appointments) designate faculty appointments of individuals who participate in UTHealth teaching programs on a volunteer basis without remuneration (see HOOP Policy 189). The Office of the Executive Vice President for Academic and Research Affairs (EVPARA) oversees this process at the institutional level.
NEW ANNUAL COMPLIANCE TRAINING FOR ALL WOS APPOINTMENTS REQUIRED.
As of June 2014, HOOP 15, Orientation, now requires that all faculty and fellows (whether paid or unpaid) receive orientation compliance training. This training must be completed annually and is a condition of holding a WOS appointment at UTHealth. Compliance training can be accessed on the Annual WOS Compliance Training Page.
New WOS Appointments (Cross Appointments and Non-Employee WOS appointments):
- Department Chair or equivalent submits the following forms to the respective dean for appointment approval at the school level; alternatively, this process can be initiated immediately out of the Dean’s Office:
a) WOS Criminal Background Check (CBC) required prior to approvals:
- For employees that have primary appointment(s) in UTHealth (employee
cross appointments); CBC completed through primary school appointment.
- For employees that have a primary appointment(s) at other UT System
components, use the WOS Criminal Background Check Verification Form
to confirm CBC completion by home institution.
- For individuals that do not have primary appointments at UT System
institutions, please follow current CBC process established by UTHealth
b) Without Salary/Without Tenure Appointment Request Form
c) Biographical data sheet and/or curriculum vitae (to be retained in school)
d) Without Salary Appointment Criteria Form Letter
- The School or Institute will submit to the EVPARA the completed Without Salary/Without Tenure Appointment Request Form signed by the Dean with attached documentation listed above (1b and 1d);
- If approved by EVPARA, the EVPARA will then submit a quarterly letter to the UTHealth President with the recommendation for approval of appointments. (Quarterly requests submitted on following dates: 9/1, 12/1, 3/1 and 6/1)
- Once approval from the President has been returned to the EVPARA, the office of the Academic and Research Affairs will then prepare an institutional appointment letter to be mailed directly to the WOS faculty member.
- NEW Annual WOS Compliance Orientation Training is mandatory to hold a WOS appointment at UTHealth. The WOS faculty member will have 30 days from receiving the appointment letter with the notice of compliance training to complete the training. The WOS administrator of each school will be notified by the Office of Institutional Compliance of any WOS faculty out of compliance. The schools WOS administrators will be responsible for taking the appropriate action with the faculty member. A Cancellation of Appointment Form Letter is provided for use by WOS administrators.
This letter requests the faculty to sign in acceptance of the appointment and return to the EVPARA in a designated period of time. If the letter is not received or signed by the faculty within the specified return date, then the appointment is considered void. Copies of all returned appointment letters will be sent to the designated WOS administrator of each school on request; otherwise, only notification of acceptance will be sent back to the schools by the office of the EVPARA.
Without Salary Annual Appointment Renewal: (Cross Appointments and Non-Employee WOS appointments)
The departments holding WOS appointments (whether cross appointments or non-employee appointments) will use the New/Renewal Without Salary Appointment Criteria Form Letter in evaluating and continuation of the appointment of WOS faculty.
Employee Cross Appointment evaluations should take place during the annual institutional budget period since these should be recorded in the budget through departmental entry in HRMS. All other WOS appointments should be evaluated prior to August in preparation of the annual 9/1 appointment process.
- Department Chair or equivalent evaluates departmental WOS faculty requiring completion of Without Salary Appointment Criteria Form Letter.
- WOS Forms to be completed for 9/1 reappointments only:
a) Deletion of appointment for next year.
b) Address or title changes to current appointment.
c) New appointments effective 9/1 with required documentation (see 1b and 1d)
- WOS Forms, once approved by Dean, are submitted to the EVPARA by August 15th for the 9/1 appointment process. (see #3 and #4 above under New WOS Appointments)