EVP Academic & Research Affairs
The recently-released CPRIT Individual Investigator Awards (IIA) do not limit the number of applications submitted per institution. You may not, however, apply to more than one IIA award program during the current cycle, as per the instructions.
Also, per CPRIT as of May 1, 2015:
Internal Review Process
From time to time, granting agencies and foundations will restrict the number of proposals they will accept from any one institution. The Executive Vice President for Academic & Research Affairs (EVPARA) has instituted the following Limited Submission pre-application process for such programs:
- Investigators interested in any of the programs noted below must submit a pre-application packet to Deanne Hernandez by the specified internal deadline. Unless noted otherwise in the instructions, each pre-application packet should include the following as a single PDF document:
- A letter of interest;
- The investigator's most recent CV; and
- A brief (2-3 page) description of their proposed research to include how the research meets the sponsor's criteria for this award.
- If the number of interested investigators exceeds allowable proposals, a committee comprised of the school Associate Deans for Research will review the pre-applications and recommend the best qualified applicant(s) to the EVPARA.
- The EVPARA will communicate results of the selection process to both the investigators and the Office of Sponsored Projects.
- Selected investigators are then responsible for submitting a full proposal to the sponsor by the program deadline.
Please note that we make every effort to identify and post limited submission competitions on this web site as they become available. If you become aware of an limited opportunity that is not listed below, please send an email to Deanne Hernandez with the pertinent information.
*UPDATED* If a faculty member identifies a funding opportunity for which UTHealth is only allowed a limited number of applications, he/she should contact Deanne Hernandez in the Office of Academic and Research Affairs (ARA) as soon as possible (713-500-3192).
- If ARA is contacted two months or more in advance of the agency’s submission deadline, an internal competition will be announced on this page (http://www.uth.edu/evpara/funding.htm) and held as noted above to select the UTHealth nominee(s).
- If ARA is contacted less than two months before the agency’s application deadline the UTHealth nominee(s) will be selected on a first come, first served basis, i.e., the first faculty member to contact ARA will be the UTHealth nominee.
Current Limited Submission Opportunities
(1) 2016 Searle Scholar Award
Internal Deadline: August 1, 2015
Sponsor Deadline: September 30, 2015
Applicants for year 2016 awards will be expected to be pursuing independent research careers in biochemistry, cell biology, genetics, immunology, neuroscience, pharmacology, and related areas in chemistry, medicine, and the biological sciences.
Candidates should have begun their first appointment as an independent investigator at the assistant professor level on or after July 1, 2014. The appointment must be their first tenure-track position.
The Searle Scholars Program does not ordinarily support purely clinical research but has supported research programs that include both clinical and basic components. Potential applicants who are unsure if their research is appropriate for our Program are encouraged to examine the research interests of present and former Searle Scholars on the website listed below.
Grants are currently set at $300,000 for a three-year period, with $100,000 payable in the first year and equal sums payable in the second and third years, subject to the receipt of acceptable progress reports. Normally, fifteen new awards will be made annually.
UTHealth is eligible to nominate one candidate.
PAST UTHEALTH RECIPIENTS OF THIS AWARD
Edgar T. Walters, Ph.D. (1984)
INTERNAL SELECTION PROCEDURES
Deans and Department Chairs are invited to nominate eligible candidates. Please submit nominations electronically to the UTHealth Limited Submissions Review Committee in care of Deanne Hernandez (Deanne.M.Hernandez) and include a letter of nomination, the candidate’s current CV, and a brief (not to exceed three page) summary of his/her research proposal. Nominations are due no later than August 1, 2015 with candidate selection and notification expected by August 15, 2015.
The Office of the Executive Vice President for Academic and Research Affairs will assist the selected candidate as needed with the Searle Scholars Program application process.
For more information: http://searlescholars.net/go.php?id=23