Handbook of Operating Procedures

Endowed Positions

Policy Number: 46


Endowed positions


Faculty Members

Date Reviewed:
June 2015
Responsible Office:
Office of Development
Responsible Executive:
Vice President for Development; Executive Vice President for Academic and Research Affairs


The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston ("university") considers the process of naming incumbents to endowed positions a high institutional priority. The members of the faculty who are named to such positions represent the highest academic, research and service standards of the university.

Faculty who are considered for endowed chairs, professorships or faculty fellowships must have a record of exemplary performance in those areas of activity that are vital to the academic environment and mission of the university and must meet the donor's criteria for the chair, fellowship or professorship consistent with the Rules and Regulations of the Board of Regents of The University of Texas System (Board of Regents). The President may establish additional criteria for a particular position so long as the criteria remain consistent with the donor's intent and the Rules and Regulations of the Board of Regents.

The Office of Development is responsible for guiding this process at the behest of the President and will maintain records of all endowed chairs/professorships/faculty fellowships, including the purpose and any qualifications and restrictions designated by the donor, and their incumbents. The Office of Development will be responsible for ensuring compliance with the university’s policies on all such appointments.

The detailed procedures regarding selection and appointment are found on the Office of Academic and Research Affairs website.  Additional information regarding the establishment and management of an endowment can be found in HOOP 171, Establishment and Management of Endowments.


A. Terms of Appointment

Reviews of the holders of the endowments will be conducted at least every five years during appointment by the school in which the holder is appointed.

The faculty and administration of each school with endowed positions will establish procedures for making recommendations to the President for the continued appointment of individuals holding endowed positions. The procedures must be approved by the Executive Vice-President for Academic and Research Affairs ("EVPARA").  

These reviews will include, at a minimum, whether the holders continue to meet the criteria for holding the endowment, the scholarly activities of the holder, the holder’s management of the endowment funds, and a review of the annual reports provided by the holder.  These reviews will be conducted by an appropriate committee in each school, which may be the school’s Appointments, Promotion and Tenure Committee.  The reviews will then be forwarded to the dean.  For deans holding endowed positions, the review will be conducted by the university’s Appointments, Promotion and Tenure Committee.

Representatives from the Office of Development should be present at each review meeting in each school.  The recommendation of the school as to whether the individual is to continue in the endowed or position will be forwarded to the President, with copies to the EVPARA and Office of Development.  The President will make the final determination. 

Appointment to an endowed position is separate from appointment to the faculty. A decision to award tenure to the current or prospective holder of an endowed position affects only the regular faculty appointment; it does not imply a commitment for continuance in the endowed position.

Endowment titles must be relinquished upon the holder's leaving the university, retirement, assumption of less than full-time appointment, or stepping down from an academic administrator position to which the title is linked (e.g., department chair).  Exceptions may be considered with agreement of the relevant dean, the Office of Development and the President. The dean or institute director must inform the Office of Development, which will send a copy to the EVPARA, when the holder relinquishes or becomes ineligible to hold the endowed position.

B. Fiscal and Record-Keeping Procedures

Subject to conditions or restrictions required by the donor(s) and consistent with the Board of Regents Rules and Regulations, Series 60202, Section 3 and 4, distributions from the endowment may be used to supplement the salary of the candidate who is selected to hold the position and to provide professional support for the position. Endowment distributions may not be used to supplant any other source of funds for payment of the base salary of a holder who is performing regular faculty duties.

Signature authority for expenditure accounts for endowed positions will be given only to the holder. The dean of the respective school will have signature authority for unfilled positions for recruiting purposes only in accordance with guidelines of the Board of Regents.

Holders must maintain records of all financial activity in the endowment account. Expenditures must support donor intent. The Office of Development monitors endowment accounts to determine if expenditures support the endowment’s purpose. Funds must be spent on a regular basis and not accumulated without a specific spending plan by the holder that is approved by the Office of Development. An accumulation occurs when the endowment account has available funds exceeding two years’ worth of distributions. The accumulation of large balances in the endowment account should be based on sound academic/research plans.

As a condition of continued appointment, all holders of endowed professorships/chairs/faculty fellowships will submit an annual report to the Office of Development with copies to the relevant department chair and dean. This report will consist of two parts: 1) a brief accounting of how the funds associated with the position were used during the preceding fiscal year and (2) a report of activities/accomplishments in the preceding year.


ContactTelephoneEmail/Web Address
Office of Development 713-500-3204


Office of Academic and Research Affairs 713-500-3082