Policy Number: 170
I. POLICY AND GENERAL STATEMENT
It is the policy of The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston ("university") to permit businesses to offer their products and services to university employees, students, residents and fellows (“university participants”) at a discounted rate under the provisions of a discount program. This policy is intended to be interpreted to comply with UT System Policy 141 Guidelines for Employee Discount Programs.
Provider is defined as an eligible business entity that is in compliance with applicable UT System Board of Regents' Rules and Regulations, university policies, and state laws including certification requirements applicable to the provision of a particular service or product.
University participants are defined as employees, students, residents and fellows of the university.
A. Provider Participation Requirements
Vendors who call the university offering discounts will be directed to the vendor website. University participants who wish to nominate a vendor or service will direct the vendor to the vendor website.
Providers will be required to renew applications by September 1 of each year. Providers will receive a notice prior to August 1 of each year notifying them of the renewal process.
Participating service and product providers must comply with the Rules and Regulations of the Board of Regents of The University of Texas System, applicable university policies, and state law including any licensing or certification requirements applicable to the provisions of a particular service or product. Participating providers may not offer discounts to products or services such as cigarettes or other tobacco products, gambling services or venues, sexual services or adult entertainment, alcohol, or firearms.
All discount offers made through the program must be an added value or actual discount on products or services. Discount offers must be extended equally to all university participants. At a minimum, the provider must offer at least a 10% discount or equal value to university participants.
Providers may not disclaim knowledge of, or responsibility for, the authenticity or legality of the products or services offered.
Participating providers shall not use UT System or university logos or seals or otherwise imply that participation in the program equals endorsement by UT System or the university. See UT System Policy 122 Guidelines for Web Site Solicitations.
The provider application and selection process does not include a formal or informal appeals process. Discount service and product providers owned or controlled by the university or UT System, or their respective officers and employees, may not participate in the discount program.
Participation in the discount program as a discount service or product provider:
- does not constitute or create a contract or an agency relationship between the provider and UT System or the university;
- is separate and distinct from the provision of any services through a vendor contract with the university or UT System; and
- does not create any legal duty or liability on the part of UT System or the university for any actions of the provider.
B. Participation Guidelines for University Participants
The discount program website and all information concerning the discount program shall reference this policy and include the following disclaimers:
- University participants must discuss directly with the provider any questions or concerns that they have with the provider's products or services.
- Participation by an individual or a business in the discount program does not constitute an endorsement by the university of the individual or business or the products or services offered by the participating provider.
- Inclusion of a product or service in the discount program is not a guarantee by the university of the quality or performance of a product or service.
- The university is not responsible for any disputes arising between a participating provider and a university participant as the result of an agreement or transaction entered into between such a provider and the university participant.
- Products and services of the discount program do not constitute compensation to university participants.
- Products and services of the discount program are available on the same basis to all university participants.
- Specific products and services, as well as the discount program itself, are subject to discontinuation at any time.
C. Cancellation of Program or Discontinuance of Participation or of Products and Services
- The university may discontinue the discount program at any time or discontinue a provider's participation in the program or the provider's ability to offer a particular product or service without advance notice.
- The university may remove a provider or a product or service from the program based on complaints from university participants, or for any other reason deemed to be in the best interest of the university and the university participants.
|UT Counseling, WorkLife and Wellness Services||713-500-3327|