Foreign nationals may work temporarily while in the U.S. under a number of non immigrant visa categories or they may work permanently when eligible to obtain an immigrant status based on their job skills, education and work experience. 

In the navigation bars to your left related to employees, you will find more information about coming to the UTHealth to work temporarily or permanently in some of the different employment eligibility categories for working in the United States: 

  • H-1B employees - Employment on specialty occupations
  • E-3 employees - Employment for Australians on specialty occupations
  • TN employees - Employment for Canadian citizens under Treaty NAFTA: 
  • O-1 employees - Aliens of extraordinary ability: 
  • Permanent residency

Other non-immigrant visa categories commonly seen at UTHealth, which allow incidental employment under certain provisions, are addressed under the applicable visa category. In general:

  • F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. There are various programs available for F-1 students to seek off-campus employment, after the first academic year. F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment, after they have been studying for one academic year. These three types of employment are:
    1. Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
    2. Optional Practical Training (OPT)
    3. Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT STEM)

  • J-1 Exchange Visitors may or may not work depending on the terms of the exchange program sponsoring the visitor. Some J-1 non-immigrants enter the United States specifically to work (as a researcher, professor, etc.) while others do not. Exchange Visitors and individual sponsors within UTHealth are encouraged to consult with the Office of International Affairs for more information on any restrictions that may apply to visitors working in the United States. 

J-2 family members of J-1 Visa Holdersspouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age, regardless of nationality, are entitled to J-2 classification. Spouse and children are entitled to work authorization; however, their income may not be used to support the J-1 visitor. To apply for work authorization as a J-2 nonimmigrant, the J-1 spouse or child would file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization found in the USCIS web site.