Hazlewood Act Definition and Instructions

Who can apply?

Individuals who:

  • Were Texas residents at the time they entered the U. S. Armed Forces, or resided in Texas as indicated by “place of entry” on form DD214.
  • Has been classified as a resident by the institution for the term for which the veteran applies for the Hazlewood Act Exemption.
  • Have received an honorable discharge or separation or a general discharge under honorable conditions
  • Have exhausted all federal veteran’s education benefits, including such benefits as those issued under Title 38, United States Code, Chapters 30, 32, and 35, and Title 10, United States Code, Chapters 1606 and 1607.
  • Are not in default on a education loan made or guaranteed by the Federal Government or by the State of Texas.
  • Has attempted fewer than150 credit hours using the Hazelwood Act Exemption beginning with fall of 1995.

The benefit may not be used for correspondence courses unless the courses are part of the student's degree plan.

To date, legislation has NOT been introduced to open the program to veterans from other states. For more detailed information about the Hazlewood Act, contact the Registrar's Office. Detailed information about the Hazlewood Act can be found at http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/apps/financialaid/tofa2.cfm?ID=579 .