It is required for all car rental reservations to be made using one of our five (5) UT Health Science Center at Houston contract car vendors, citing the chosen vendor’s rate identifier code.
(Please print the Motor Vehicle Rental Exemption Certificate to present at the counter in advance of rental to waive certain fees as described below.)
Find rental information and provisions online for:
|Rental Co.||ID#||Phone #|
To rent a car for university-related business travel,
- Select the vendor;
- Make the reservation using the correct UTHealth rate identifier contract code;
- Review any locations that may exclude insurance coverage (LDW - Loss Damage Waiver and Liability Insurance);
Making a Reservation:
- Direct through the car rental company via telephone or online as listed above or a direct location
- Reserve through a Corporate Travel Planners full-service agent (no fee incurred) 866-366-1142
- Reserve through Concur online tool
UTHealth faculty, staff, students (meeting minimum age requirements), guests and consultants traveling on official University business when travel is paid or reimbursed by UTHealth.
- Enterprise/National: The minimum age to rent a vehicle with Enterprise/National is 18 year of age; however a renter must be 21 years of age to rent a passenger van.
- Avis/Budget: The minimum age to rent a vehicle with Avis is 18 years of age; the minimum age to rent a vehicle with Budget is 21 years of age.
- Hertz: The minimum age to rent a vehicle with Hertz is 18 years of age.
Consider the following information when deciding which vendor to use:
- Most rates include insurance for (LDW) Loss Damage Waiver and Liability coverage an unlimited free mileage within the State when the vehicle is returned to the same location, however there are some exceptions. Not all Avis, Budget or Hertz locations include insurance. Please refer to the list of non-participating locations noted below as well as the list of contract validations that invalidate insurance coverage.
Promotional Rates – If you rent a vehicle for a contract rental vendor using a rate other than UTHealth contact rate, insurance is not included. Renter must provide the UTHealth rate identifier contract code to request the UTHealth contract rate in order to receive the insurance coverage and services provided under the UTHealth contract.
- Within Texas: Enterprise, National and Hertz do not charge mileage or drop off fees for one-way rentals within Texas.
- Enterprise one-way rentals will incur a $0.20 cent per mile charge.
- National charges a $699 per day flat rate for out-of-state one-way rentals on compact to full size vehicles. Out –of-state one-way rentals on premium class and above vehicles will be charged the daily rate plus $0.20 cents per mile.
- Hertz will add $0.38 per mile on all out-of-state one-way rentals.
- Avis and Budget do not charge mileage or drop off fees for one-way rentals between Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. The Dallas metro includes Coppell, Irvin and Arlington.
- Avis and Budget will charge a $0.29 per mile mileage fee on all one-way rentals in-state and out-of –state except as noted above for travel between Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio.
Taxes and Fees
Print and provide the following Motor Vehicle Rental Exemption Certificate to the Enterprise or Avis representative at the time of rental (not after the fact). There are several taxes that you must pay that will be reimbursed. "Prop., Title, Regis." Taxes may be charged. (The name may vary.) This tax was implemented under House Bill 2151, 74th Texas Legislature, and allows all rental car companies operating in Texas to charge a nominal fee to recoup the cost of registering and licensing their fleets. It is to be paid by individuals and state agencies. (Many other states have also implemented this type of charge, with different names.) Special events/stadium taxes fall under the same rulings as above.
Explanation of Taxes and Fees:
- Airport Access Fees: A fee that is charged to any customer that picks up a car at the airport location within their first 24 hours. Which is submitted directly to the airport authority and is payable by customer. This is paid for on all rentals.
- CFC-Customer Facilitation Charge: A fee imposed by the Airport for parking vehicles on-site at the airport. Which is submitted directly to the airport authority and is payable by customer. This is paid for on all rentals.
- Motor Vehicle Tax: A tax that is similar to a sales tax, but because rental car vendors provide a service and do not sell goods.
- Sport Authority/Stadium Tax: A tax that is set forth by some type of district, i.e., city county or school provide funding for a certain event or project. This is not paid on Direct Bill rentals.
- Texas Property Tax & License Reimbursement Fee: A surcharge that is passed on to the customer as reimbursement for license and title fees. This is paid for all rentals and will vary by city.
Non-participating Avis Locations
|AK||Anchorage, Fairbanks APO, Juneau APO, Kenai APO, Kodiak APO, Sitka APO, Petersburg, Skagway, Whittier|
|GA||Brunswick APO, Jekyll Island, St. Simons|
|IA||Sioux City APO|
|ME||Presque Isle, APO|
|MI||Alpena, Kincross, Pellston APO, Pellston|
|MT||Sidney, Glendive APO|
|NJ||Freehold, Eatontown, Hightstown, Sayreville, Toms River, Matawan, Pt. Pleasant, Port Monmouth, Red Bank, Englishtown, Spring Lake/Wall, Manahawkin, Middletown|
|NC||Jacksonville APO, New Bern APO, Wilmington APO, Goldsboro, Florence APO (SC), Pitt-Greenville APO, Kinston, Morehead City, Rocky Mount|
|PA||Monroeville, New Kensing APO, New Kensington|
|UT||Cedar City APO (UT), ST. George APO (UT), Ogden|
|WA||YAKIMA WA APO|
|WI||Cherryland APO (seasonal) Sturgeon Bay, Marshfield, Kings APO-Land O'Lakes, Eagle River|
Non-participating Budget Locations
Personal rentals will not include the insurance coverages. The same account numbers are used for both business and pleasure for Avis, Budget and Hertz. Use UTS999 with Enterprise. Be sure to identify if you are reserving a rental for personal use.